The fort on the bay (Dick’s or Dickies Cove). Work commenced in 1683, but progress was impaired by continuous disputes between the English and the Brandenburgers. Building completed by the English, in 1691-97, possibly on the site of an earlier post. Besieged, in 1748-56 and abandoned, in 1826. Re-occupied in 1830. Transferred to the Dutch and renamed Metalen Kruis, in 1868. Ceded to Britain, in 1872. Restored in 1954-56.
The British colonial fortification, Fort Metal Cross (originally Dixcove Fort) is located on a promontorynear the fishing village of Infuma, in Dixcove (Dick’s Cove) in the Western Region of Ghana. The cove’s quiet waters are suitable for small boats and canoes; large ships anchor approximately 2 kilometres offshore.
For the British, the motive for commencing construction of Dixcove Fort in 1692 was identical to that of the Dutch in building Fort Batentstein to tap into the promise of gold in the hinterland; and also to win back the many English captains trading at the Brandenburgers’ (Germans’) Fort Gross Friedrichsburg in nearby Princestown. However, the people of Infuma, loyal to two chiefs whose allegiances swayed between the British and Dutch, besieged the fort several times, on behalf of the Dutch, stalling its completion. By 1750, the fort was equipped to carry up to 25 canons.
The promise of gold never materialised, as the gold that was mined was largely impure gold. Hence, the fort earned the title of ‘the fake mint of the Gold Coast’by author Bosman. Like Fort Batentstein, Fort Metal Cross became a service-station for the repair of ships and the supply of timber from the surrounding forest; and during the slave trade, it became a slave prison.
The 1867 fort exchange agreement between the British and Dutch resulted in Dutch ownership of the fort in 1868. The Dutch had to call for military reinforcement to restore calm in their new areas of control, as the local populace was infuriated by the swap, especially since they had not been consulted. The name of the fort was altered to ‘Metalen Kruis’ (Metal Cross), after one of the Dutch gun-boats which brought the reinforcement.
However, the immense cost of control persuaded the Dutch to sell their forts to the British. Hence, in 1872 the fort reverted to the British, who renamed it Fort Metal Cross.
From Accra, visitors have the option of either getting to Takoradi, the capital of the Western Region, by road or by air. Takoradi is approximately four hours from Accra by road. For tourists opting to go air, it is just 45 minutes from Accra. Starbow, and Africa World Airlines both operate flights between Accra and Takoradi.
When in Takoradi, take the Takoradi-Tarkwa Road and drive to Agona Junction, or board public transport from Ajip Fuel Station in Takoradi to Agona-Junction. At Agona Junction, follow road signage to Dixcove.