Event Category: Feature
The 13th National Tourism Awards comes off on Friday, November 6, 2020 at the National Theatre, Accra.
The awards ceremony is being organised to acknowledge and reward industry stakeholders who have excelled and contributed immensely to the development of the tourism industry in Ghana. In all, 29 awards will be given out to deserving organisations and individuals.
This year’s event, under the theme ‘Growing Tourism Beyond The Return, COVID-19’. Awards will be given to deserving organisations and personalities within the industry.
5-Star – Kempinski Hotel (Gold Coast City) – Accra
4 Star – Tang Palace Hotel – Accra
3 Star – Aqua Safari Resort – Ada
2 Star – Grace Garden Hotel – Takoradi
1 Star – Asantewaa Premier Hotel – Fumesua, Kumasi
Guest House – West Wing Guest House – Spintex
Budget Hotel – Almond Tree Guest House – Elmina
Serviced Apartments – Red Mango – Takoradi
Hostel – Banvillas Hostel – Kentinkrono
Food & Beverage
Restaurant Grade 1 – Azmera Restaurant – Roman Ridge
Restaurant Grade 2 – Buka Restaurant – Osu
Restaurant Grade 3 – Hot Ernesto Restaurant – Takoradi
Fast Food – Papaye – Spintex Road
Airline Catering Services – Servair – Airport – Accra
Drinking Bar – Treasures Pub – Haatso
Traditional Catering – Agbenorxevi Chop Bar – Ho
Night Club/Pub – Crescendo Lounge & Pub – Labone
Tour Operator – Land Tours – Accra
Travel Agent – Satguru Travels – Osu
Car Rentals – Atlas Rent – A – Car, Dansoman
Airline Of The Year – Air France – Klm
Site Guide – Robert Morgan Mensah, Cape Coast Castle
Tour Guide – Yao Dzide Freelance, Accra
Visitor Attraction – Cape Coast Castle, Cape Coast
Tourism Writer Of The Year – Samuel Obeng-Appah, Voyage Afriq
Tourism Broadcast Programme – UTV Heritage Ghana, United Television
Tourism Oriented Media
Television – TV3
Radio – Okay Fm
Print – The Mirror
Online – Voyage Afriq
Consistent Payment Of Tourism Levy – Accommodation
White Sands Beach Resort & Spa – Gomoa Fetteh – Winner
Consistent Payment Of Tourism Levy – Food & Beverage
Moti Mahal Restaurant – Asokwa – Winner
- Osabarima Kwesi Atta Ii Parmount Chief, Oguaa Traditional Area.
- Nana Kodwo Kondua Vi Parmount Chief, Edina Traditional Area.
- Kofi Akpabli – Tourism / Travel Writer.
- Hon. Mohammed Adjei Sowah Mayor Of Accra.
- Miss Delphine Brew- Hammond(Miss Tourism Ghana)
- Sunseekers Travel & Tours
- The Adinkra, Washington Dc
- Panafest Foundation – Cape Coast
- Diaspora Affairs, Office Of The President
- Media Majique And Research System, Accra
- Kids In Tourism
Award Selection Process
So, How are winners selected for the Tourism Awards?
At the regional level, facilities and enterprises are shortlisted based on a regular inspection programme carried out by Ghana Tourism Authority (GTA) regional offices. A Jury is constituted at the regional level to assess the facilities and services of the service providers after which winners are selected and awarded.
Facilities that won awards at the Regional Awards are shortlisted and further assessed by a Jury made up of Industry Professionals and Stakeholders who evaluate the facilities and services to come up with the three top nominees from which the eventual winners for the awards are picked.
- 5 Star Hotel of the Year – Movenpic Ambassador Hotel
- 4 Star Hotel of the Year – Tang Palace Hotel
- 3 Star Hotel of the Year – Holiday Inn Hotel
- 2 Star Hotel of the Year – Ibis Styles
- 1 Star Hotel of the Year – Coconut Grove Sakumono
- Guest House of the Year – Petit Palais Guesthouse
- Budget Hotel of the Year – Ronna lodge, Adidome
- Hostel of the Year – Bedstudy Osu
- Serviced Apartment of the Year – Red Mango Apartments Chapel Hill
FOOD AND BEVERAGE AND ENTERTAINMENT (CATERING) AWARDS
- Restaurant Grade 1 – Azmera Restaurant
- Restaurant Grade 2 – The Buka Restaurant Ltd
- Restaurant Grade 3 – Madela Restaurant, Sunyani
- Fast Food of the Year – Papaye Fast Foods Ltd.
- Night Club of the Year – Plot 7 Night Club, Osu
- Traditional Caterer (Chop Bar) of the Year – Bush Kanteen Shiashie,
- Drinking Bar of the Year – The Treasures Pub, Agbogba
TRAVEL SERVICES AWARDS
1. Airline of the Year – South African Airways
2. Tour Operator of the Year – Landtours Ghana
3. Travel Agency of the Year – Satguru Travels Ghana Ltd
4. Car Rental Service of the Year – Atlas Rent A Car
5. Visitor Attraction of the Year – Kakum National Park Ghana
MEDIA AWARD WINNERS
1. Tourism Writer of the Year – Kofi Akpabli
2. Tourism Oriented Media TV – TV3 Media,
3. Tourism Oriented Media (Radio)- Citi 97.3 FM
4. Tourism Oriented Media (Print)- The Mirror
5. Tourism Oriented Media (Online) – Voyages AFRIQ MEDIA
6. Tourism Programme of the Year – Our Heritage by UTV Ghana
1. Edwin Owusu-Mensah – (Fmr Dir. Ministry of Tourism, Arts And Culture, Former Dep. Exec. Dir. Ghana Tourism Authority)
2. Stella W. Appenteng – (CEO – Apstar Tours Ltd)
3. Kwame Ofosu Bamfo (MD – Alisa Hotel)
4. Sajid Ali Kahn – (GM – Tang Palace Hotel,Accra,Ghana)
5. Erieca Bennett – (Head of Mission, Missions Forum: Africa Diaspora Missions Network)
6. Mark Williams – (CEO – Ashanti African Tours Ltd)
2018 AWARD WINNERS
ACCOMMODATION – STAR RATING
- 5 Star Hotel of the Year
- KEMPINSKI HOTEL GOLD COAST CITY- RIDGE-ACCRA
- 4 Star Hotel of the Year
- TANG PALACE – ACCRA
- 3 Star Hotel of the Year
- AQUA SAFARI RESORT – ADA
- 2 Star Hotel of the Year
- ZAINA LODGE – MOLE
- 1 Star Hotel of the Year
- GREEN OAK HOTEL – OSU
About The Awards
The National Tourism Awards was instituted by the Ghana Tourism Authority in 1997 to reward excellent performance in the tourism sector.
It is one of the flagship events of the GTA and it sets the tone for high standards in service delivery among practitioners in the tourism sector.
Awards, including honorary awards are presented to practitioners, individuals and organisations who have made immense contributions to the growth and development of Ghana’s tourism industry.
The awards usually attract high-profile personalities in government, business, politics, academia and practitioners within the tourism industry.
Get Directions: Get Directions